Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Some thoughts on cravings and fruitarianism..

Cravings are something that I have often been asked about:

How do you deal with cravings on a raw food Fruitarian diet?

Unfortunately, there is no immediate simple solution to that one..

I reckon, there is probably not a single raw fooder or fruitarian out there, that has not had to deal with cravings, and only a small handful may have actually succeeded in not letting cravings win at their temptation..

I for one gave in to cravings countless times before I eventually succeeded in overcoming them.. It took me years. Literally!!

But that doesn't mean that it will take you that long.. Let my experience be more of a "light at the end of the tunnel" thing.. Because it is possible.

Kveta recently also posted a blog entry on cravings too:  Kveta's thoughts on addiction and cravings

Her recommendation is to read the Anthony Robins book.. 

I've not read it myself, but he is apparently great at helping people overcome addictive issues in their lives, and the book "Awaken the Giant Within" may be of great benefit to those of you that are struggling with cravings and possibly binge eating.

What I want to tell you is that truly, you are not alone.. Much as it may seem that way at times!

You have to remember that you basically are coming off a life long drug addiction. And don't deceive yourself that it will be easy.. Let no one try to fool you otherwise.

In my opinion the most important thing you can have to succeed, is faith in the goal. If you don't forget, or loose sight of it, you will succeed, and health and vitality will be yours as it is your birthright..

If you fail, don't be mad at yourself unless you find it productive for you to be so..

if you keep failing, you are not mad, you are human. if you persevere, you will get there, as I did, and many others before me..

I have every faith that you can do it!

Remember, giving in to a craving, just feeds it and makes it more difficult to be rid of it, so for a while you may need will power and steady determination.. But if you should keep failing.. - be the observer!! Watch how your body reacts to forbidden foods.. Understand the harm that you may be doing to yourself, and eventually that feeling of "regret" should guide you back on the right track..

If you are having trouble at all with quiting animal products, whether it be the flesh or the stolen milk, or eggs, it may help and encourage you to read more books on facts behind the animal food industry.. For myself, I had such a great moral feeling that supporting that trade was fundamentally wrong, that I never once looked back or felt tempted to touch such nonfoods.. This knowledge really helped me to never really even experience cravings for animal flesh and its ilk..

Reading is naturally a source of great help and encouragement, and a good book can really spur your determination onward..

Don't be too hard on yourselves.. Remember you are in a tricky situation.. like being an alcoholic in a world full of alcoholics.. So it takes a special person to break free.

peace and well wishes to you.
mango

Blogged with Flock

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mango

This is a good insight. I have often been asked what is the easiest, fastest, cheapest and tastiest way to healthy eating. What can I say? Before answering, the person has already 'guided' me on how to answer. Overcoming alcohol addiction in a world of alcohol addicts. Neat analogy. I often use the word counterfeit. There is food and there is counterfeit food. The counterfeit looks and feels just like the real thing but it's not. We are in a world of counterfeit food peddlers trying to find the original. Be the observer - another good insight from you. I always use this. I wrote a shoutout to your blog in mine because I find your outlook is useful even to non-fruitarians.

JaCk said...

Greetings from Italy :d

Sarah said...

great post on cravings!

cyberryan26 said...

This post on food addiction is funny, because for conventional eaters, FRUITARIANISM is a form of food addition, in particular SUGAR addiction!

Fruitarian Mango said...

@Ryan.. there is no sugar in fruit. sugar is a highly refined cooked unnatural product. What fruit contains is food the way nature intended it..

cyberryan26 said...

Oh yeah, I probably should have said SUGARS in fruit, not sugar. You are correct that sugar is the name of a particular substance that is pure sucrose. Sugars refers to anything that ends in -ose, such as the fructose found in fruits.

Fruitarian Mango said...

yeah.. and the comatose found in comas.. lol :)