Friday, April 11, 2008

Interview with a Fruitarian - 10 - Julian

10th in a series of interviews with Fruitarians.


Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions!
Could you please start off by telling us a little about yourself, how old you are, where you are living/grew up?


I'm 26 years old, grew up in Berlin, Germany and live at the moment in Nicaragua.

Do you have an online presence - website/ blog/pictures??

no

Julian in Nicuragua


Well, we met in Victoria, Australia in December 2006, right? And at that time you were on a raw vegan diet, how long had you been doing that?

about 7 months raw, 4 years vegan

When did you first hear of the fruitarian diet? Had you heard of fruitarianism before we met, or had you met any other fruitarians prior to our meeting?

Yes, I had heard about it but hadn't met any other fruitarians than you and still haven't.

Were you convinced that it was a good thing when you first heard of it, or did you have your doubts and disagree with it? When did you first realise that you wanted to live on just fruit?

When I first read about this diet (about the time when I went vegan) I considered it like most people not as a healthy diet you could live on for a longer time. When I first met you I was impressed by the ideology behind it but not about health aspects until I read more about it.

What was your diet like while growing up?

omnivour until I was 16.

Can you tell us a little about your health when you were eating that way, and how it has changed since moving toward an all fruit diet?

I didn't really feel changes after going vegetarian and vegan, a little after going raw, but the greatest improvement I had after going fruitarian.

What do your parents think of you going fruitarian? What about the rest of your family, borthers/sisters?

My parents are probably the only ones I could convince it's the best diet. The others are regarding it experimental and expect me to fail sooner or later.

What kind of things are you currently eating that you want to leave out from your diet and why?

Over/underripe and unorganic fruits..

Do you take any supplements or spirulina or stuff like that? Are you at all concerned about not getting enough calcium/protein/B12/whatevers??

No. No, I'm not.

Do you suffer from cravings, or have you ever binge eaten? how do you deal with such times?

My cooked food addiction is not totally gone yet but getting less and less. No, never have binge eaten.

What does your typical day look like foodwise? And for how long have you been eating this way?

It used to be breakfast Papaya, now that Mangos are coming in season more often Mangos, lunch tomatoes/cucumber/peppers, sometimes young coconut, dinner bananas. Since there is only a small variety of fruits I've been eating this way on most days for the last months.

Julian, you are currently living on Ometepe, a tropical island off of Nicaragua right? Do you have a good variety of fruit for you to choose from there? Good markets or local fruit orchards? Is there any fruit there that you had not seen before getting there?

As I said the locals don't care for fruits and the variety is quite small and quality often bad. Some foreigners introduced some new or better varieties. There are no markets only trucks that come once a week and sell fruits and vegetables. New fruits to me were Hocote, Jujube, Cashew Apple, Sapote and Breadfruit.

Apart from myself, have you ever met anyone else (not online) who eats just fruit?

No.

If you are not already there, how long do you picture it taking before you are at your goal of 100% fruit? Do you have set time frame plans for getting there? Are you already there??

100% is not my goal at the moment, I like young coconuts and would also eat fresh sweet corn.

Do you normally tell people how you eat? If so, what do you think is the most common question people ask you about your diet?

With most people I try to avoid this topic. The most common question is "Where do you get your protein from?"

Do you have a favourite fruit?

I had only once this kind of Sapote (I think it was) in Malaysia. My favourite of currently available fruits is jackfruit.

Can you recall the first time you tried one?

Yes.

Where and how do you see yourself living and eating in 10 years from now?

Living somewhere in the tropics, eating self-grown fruits.

Finally, how do you feel if people tell you that you must be crazy, and that you can't possibly survive eating the way you do??

Amused.

Thanks Julian,
I wish you success in finding a good place to be!
Mango.

Previous Blog Post - Succeeding with Fruitarianism
      Next Blog Post - Fruitarian Message Boards

Previous Fruitarian Interview - Interview with Sun~Rose
      Next fruitarian Interview - Interview with Kveta

List of Interviews with Fruitarians
Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the interview - Thanks